Technical Design and Planning of RES District Heating and Cooling (DHC) Training Course
This 2-day course is part of a series of training opportunities that will bring some of the best international experience in district heating to Ireland. It is organised as part of the European SmartReFlex project, which includes Irish partners Tipperary Energy Agency, Kerry County Council and XD Consulting. Smart Reflex aims to support the development of district heating based on renewable energy sources (RES) through know-how transfer and exchange of experience. This training will focus on the planning and technical design aspect of developing and operating a RES district heating project. It will be a unique opportunity for participants to gain an insight into the Danish experience of designing and deploying successfully district heating with renewable energy.
When: January 24th and 25th 2017 (9am – 5pm)
Where: Woodquay Venue, Dublin City Council Civic Offices, Woodquay, Dublin 8
Fee: €295 per person
- Urban heat planning, DHC vs. individual heat supply, cooperative ownership, real examples of project development:
- Mapping of present and future heat and cooling demand
- Mapping of resources
- Mapping of costs and competitiveness
- Case-studies – examples from Europe and SmartReflex local project participants
- Concepts on how to stepwise reach 100 % RES, e.g. utilisation of excess heat from industry
- How to come from case studies to municipal and regional plans, addressing the necessary framework for development of DHC (e.g. risk analysis)
- How to optimize technical solutions in 100% RES project implementation.
- Design of substations and lay-out of DHC grid with low temperatures
- Design of house installation – heating controls, efficient use of DH
- Design of transmission and distribution networks – pipe sizing, branch sizing
- The internet based calculation program isoCalc (from the manufacture of pre-insulated pipe systems isoplus) will be used for the hydraulic pipe dimensioning.
- Production Technologies – excess heat from industry, Solar thermal, Biomass boiler, Biomass CHP, Biogas CHP, heat pumps, storage technologies.
- RES production plants and how to calculate production price:
- Calculation of district heating production plant
- Calculation in EnergyPro of production cost
A 30 day licence for EnergyPro, energy project modelling software package, will be issued to all participants in the training course