Local energy planning
Renewable energy resource
The objective of this study was to develop an action plan for the transition of the Limerick-Clare Region to a sustainable energy system between now and 2020, based on:
- an extensive assessment of current and future energy demand, and associated emissions;
- renewable energy resource analysis for the region;
- modelling of alternative energy systems and analysis of economic, environmental and resource use impacts.
The study also models long-term scenarios of 100% renewable energy supply to illustrate how 2020 plans contribute to a full transition to a low-carbon energy future. Key conclusions include:
- The Limerick-Clare region can produce 70% of its electricity and 25% of its total energy demand from renewable sources by 2020, while reducing costs, emissions and creating 2000 local jobs;
- A significant focus should be given to thermal energy, with district heating in urban areas and individual heat pumps in rural areas as key technical solutions;
- While there is approximately 10 times more renewable energy in the region than will be required in 2020, the biomass resource is constrained and its use should be optimised.